domingo, 2 de marzo de 2014

OSCARS

So I didn't watch the Oscars tonight. I had a baby shower to attend, my first ever, and I missed on the glam and glitter of Hollywood. Well, actually I got home before it ended so I caught the tail end of the show and was able to see Sydney Poitier and the last few awards. It was hard for me to feel emotional or excited about any of it. I tried to empathize/sympathize/be inspired by Cuarón, Mccounaghey, Blanchet or McQueen. Something in the whole thing seemed to me either rehearsed, trite or, as in the case of McQueen, borderline hysteric.

Don't know if I am less vulnerable, more cynical or simply they just didn't do it for me. The ceremony and the build up to it appeared to me this year more than ever just a "me bigger" game dependent on marketing and money-for-attention. Usually the winners are good, although not necessarily the best; politics and/or money play a big role in this, so its attraction has peeled off me quite a bit. It may also be just seasonal and next year I'll be in a different personal space to care more about this type of thing.

The baby shower was nice: excellent home cooked Mexican food and a very nice host, my friend Miguel. Good conversation, some interesting and nice people and good fun and laughter: that was more valuable to me tonight than the Oscars. That said, congratulations to all the winners and best of year for all artists.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario