jueves, 8 de julio de 2010

SPAIN KICKS GERMANY'S BUTT

What a great game yesterday. At least that's what newspapers say. I
watched but didn't see because I was so nervous. Well, I did see it
but not too objectively, I guess. My prediction held, as Spain beat
Germany as Germany used to beat Spain (and everybody else):
"madurating" the match and then going for a header. Beautiful goal by
Puyol, a warrior and the backbone of Spain's team from the back
onwards. Historic times for football. Yes, it is a game. But nothing
in the world generates this kind of passion (mostly good). What's
incredible is that this country (USA) is so isolated from all the World
Cup fever. They keep doing their baseball and their LeBron James
thing. Sure, that has sports value, but the World Cup transcends
sports for hundreds of millions. To be fair, the coverage here has
been unprecedented, which shows interest and attention is really
growing. People actually asked me on the street what the score was.
That would never have happened 10 years ago. But let's face it: to
watch the final I'd rather be in Madrid or Amsterdam (or Mexico, or
Berlin, or Buenos Aires, or Paris...well, not Paris, or Lisbon, or
Rome, or Accra, or Rabat, or Jakarta, or Sidney, or Moscow, or Tel
Aviv, or New York—nope, NYC is not part of the cultural US) than Los Angeles (unfortunately, this is the core of the cultural US). C'est la vie...(sigh). Orange and
Red. Beautiful colors. Now I have to go with RED: GO SPAIN!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario